Norg's Basement Fish Laboratory. PICTURE HEAVY.

Hey guys. I thought Id post my progress on my most recent project and without a doubt my largest one. I want to make a career out of this hobby. There is not a doubt in my mind that I could do so, but it will be a long and hard road ahead of me. This is just the start. I will be living at home for the next year or two and my very supportive parents have been kind enough to let me use the storage area of our basement to turn into my "Laboratory" as I call it. This will include a large scale frag system consisting of multiple tanks, and multiple tanks for clownfish and bangai cardinal breeding. The first tank I am setting up is one that I bought from a local pet store when one of it's seams burst. They said I was an idiot for trying to reseal it, but my father is a caulking and flooring contractor and Ive worked for him for as long as I can remember. If anyone could handle the job it would be us. I resiliconed the tank and it has been holding water for three weeks. Im not at all worried about failure in one of the seams. I built the stands, and the lighting track from 2x4's. Very solid, not even able to budge them. Anyway, Ill stop boring you and post some pictures. Haha.

This is half of the Laboratory. Much of it still needs to be cleaned and organized but Im doing that as I go. In this picture you see another stand next to the 125 gallon long tank I picked up and resilconed. I will be building that tank as well. The dimensions of it are 76 long x 36 wide x 14 inches tall. Total volume of around 115 gallons. These tanks will be my start of the frag system.

Better shot of the 125. In this picture you can see the lighting fixture Ill be using over the first section of this tank. Its a Boost135MU unit. I got it on sale and couldnt turn it down. 

The lighting track above the 125. Still need to paint the end. haha.

Just the blue LEDs. These make just about any coral Ive seen glow...

Close up of the blues.

Daylight and blue LEDs on.

Close up of daylight and blue LEDs.

This will be the first fuge. I plan on running two of them. Im a big fan of redundancy in a large system. It will be mineral mud in the bottom covered by crushed coral. I will have live rock, chaeto, and mangroves in here.

Forty gallon breeder as a sump. It will house my skimmer, calcium, GFO and any other reactors I will need. 

My RO-DI unit. Its a 7 stage, 100 gallon per day unit from pure water club.

And this is the rest of my room to expand...... :)

Thanks for looking guys! Ill keep you posted and as soon as I start selling frags Ill let you know!

Views: 491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can even try a pond liner if you have some place local that sells pond supplies.

I got it all handled now I believe. It was just a scare for a few minutes. It looked like she was gonna blow. haha. But heres an update! I finished the plumbing, made the overflows, installed the pump and heater, filled the tanks with water and salt. Now we have some water movement. And lots of it. This system is really loud though. So today I will be tweeking it to make it quieter. Pictures are worth a thousand words though. Here you go!

And we have flow! It may not be very clear in this picture but there is ALOT of water movement in this tank even with just the pump.

The overflows I made. Im not totally happy with them. I may give it another shot or see if I can buy new ones.

The fuge. Gotta peel the last bit of the sticker off on the side. Oops.

The kitty litter and crushed coral substrate in the refugium.

Maybe this is a better picture to show how much flow there is...

Plumbing from the fuge to the sump.

The sump. Right now only housing the mag drive 18 pump and a jager 300 watt heater.

Just because I like seeing the lights over this tank. :)

And thus! The cycling begins! I may throw a few small frags in the tank along with some live rock in a week or so. But we will see how that goes. Thanks for reading!

it's coming along so nicely!
Thank you! Im happy with it so far! Except for how loud the overflows are... I have to figure out how to fix that asap. The tank runs like a dream. Those overflows will drive me nuts over time though. haha.

Haloist said:
it's coming along so nicely!

Hey guys, time for an update! The tank lives! Well kinda. There are a few frags in it. The pump on my biocube is a total POS so I got fed up with it and started transferring frags. This is how far I am now. The eggcrate set up is VERY TEMPORARY. Its an eyesore, but its keeping my corals in place. Ive been jam packed with work so I havent had much time to work on it. This will suffice for now. I also just got buffers to get my ph and alkalinity in check. Other than those two my levels are looking good. Ill be looking into a skimmer sometime soon and probably will start dripping kalk when my levels are where I want them to be. But thats all in theory. Pictures!

The first few additions.

A few still left to add.

A shot from the side. Everything isnt totally open yet.

Just the blue LEDs on. Just testing to see how the color balance looks. Not good. haha. It looks so much better in person.

And the fuge! Lit by a 5100 k 26 watt cfl bulb. Should make the macro grow nicely.

Thanks for the update, Norg. What size did you say that main frag tank is?

I wouldn't worry about how it looks (nice, btw). It's just  a frag tank - it's supposed to be functional, not beautiful. All the retailers use the eggcrate when selling frags. It makes the best use of space...being completely open allows for higher flow for SPS/LPS corals and keeps free of detritus.

Eh Im a real stickler about looks on this build. Well any build really. I want to use black egg crate and believe it or not, it will be like 120 bucks to get what I need shipped here just for the one tank... That tank is a 125 gallon long. I really like the dimensions. Im sure a small tang would as well.

Seano hermano said:

Thanks for the update, Norg. What size did you say that main frag tank is?

I wouldn't worry about how it looks (nice, btw). It's just  a frag tank - it's supposed to be functional, not beautiful. All the retailers use the eggcrate when selling frags. It makes the best use of space...being completely open allows for higher flow for SPS/LPS corals and keeps free of detritus.

RSS

We're Global.

Marine Aquarium Supplies

© 2017   Created by Meet Reef.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service