I think my apple snail is dead. The bottom the snail is usually a milky yellow color and now it is a hardened brownish black color. Is it dead?

 

Here's a picture

 

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The best way to tell is by the smell. when they die they smell like rotten eggs.  I also read that they can go into hibernation, whats the temp in your tank at? its said that they'll die at above 80 degree's.
Yeah, I heard about the smell thing too.  You can also poke it to see if it reacts!
My tank is about 75~ degrees. I was so close to taking my snail out. @.@ Thanks for the advice!

SmokeyCFH said:
The best way to tell is by the smell. when they die they smell like rotten eggs.  I also read that they can go into hibernation, whats the temp in your tank at? its said that they'll die at above 80 degree's.
So did you find out if it was alive or dead?

He is alive! :) I just had to be patient. The hibernation thing is good to know. 



SmokeyCFH said:

So did you find out if it was alive or dead?
whew, that's great to hear! though one word of advice, make sure every hole is covered on your tank. a friend of mine got an apple snail and when they lay eggs they do it out of water so it goes up into the canopy. a female can carry a males milt or sperm whatever it is snails have for either three months or up to three years so yeah, be cautious :)
Will do~ Thanks 

SmokeyCFH said:
whew, that's great to hear! though one word of advice, make sure every hole is covered on your tank. a friend of mine got an apple snail and when they lay eggs they do it out of water so it goes up into the canopy. a female can carry a males milt or sperm whatever it is snails have for either three months or up to three years so yeah, be cautious :)

RSS

We're Global.

 

Marine Aquarium Supplies

© 2017   Created by Meet Reef.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service